Friday, March 13, 2009

Progress Report

I’m glad spring his here. I’m tired of being sick. Since making my first small step commitment, I’ve missed almost three weeks of performing it due to flu, cold and being down in the back for a few days at the start of this month.

Even so, diligently following my first commitment has lead me to take other small steps along the same lines. I’ve lost 9 pounds since the beginning of the year just by making small conscious adjustments in my level of activity and probably many other unconscious adjustments. At that rate, it will take me another 18 months to reach my ideal weight. That is fine with me. small steps BIG CHANGES is all about the slow road to lasting success.

I tend to be very results oriented, which is both helpful and difficult when it comes to making change in small steps. On the positive side, I appreciate a process that works. On the negative side, I can get impatient with incrementalism. I’m convince that, when it comes to my health goals, incremental change is the only thing that is going to work.

By the way, this is a great time to make a small step commitment. At one time, the beginning of the New Year was observed in March rather than January. English-speaking nations were some of the last to make the switch. So make March the start of a new year for yourself, but instead of making a huge resolution, commit to taking one small step toward your goal.

If you have a health goal like me, Spring is a great time to become more active. It’s nice to be outside most days, and even a few minutes of walking can be beneficial. You can start by just walking to the end of the block, or even from your front door to the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment